HONORS / RECOGNITION
Recognized as a “2015 Minnesota Lawyer of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer magazine.
2015 Pro Patria Award – VE-VJ Day Club of Minnesota
Recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Minnesota Law & Politics, 2014 – 2020
National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN), 2012
Named a Minnesota Super Lawyer’s “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law & Politics, 2010
Named one of 20 “Up and Coming Attorneys” by Minnesota Lawyer, 2007
Peer-review rated AV® Preeminent™ in Martindale-Hubbell
Rated “Superb 10.0” by Avvo
International Mediation Institute (IMI) Certified Mediator
Elected chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s 400 member ADR Section
Named “Dillon Graduate Student of the Year,” University of South Dakota
NEWS & EVENTS
- September 18, 2013 – Patrick Burns is co-counsel on a class action lawsuit filed in South Dakota Federal court against Western Sky Financial, Payday Financial and Cashcall, Inc. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of consumers who were charged as much as 300% interest on small loans by companies purporting to be out of reach of state usury laws because they conduct business on a tribal reservation in South Dakota.
- October 18, 2011 – Patrick Burns is co-counsel on a class action lawsuit filed today against ACE Hardware Corporation in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The ACE franchisees and former ACE franchisees that fall within the nationwide class of plaintiffs were uniformly and systematically defrauded by ACE before and after signing up as franchisees, the complaint alleges. The federal case number is 1:11-cv-07377.
- October 3, 2011 – The 14th Annual Minnesota ADR Institute will be held on October 14 and 15 in Minneapolis. As the chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s 400 member ADR Section, Patrick Burns is the course chair of this year’s ADR Institute.
- July 11, 2011 – Patrick Burns was elected as the incoming chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s 400 member ADR Section. He will serve in this capacity in 2011 and 2012.
- May 20, 2011 – Patrick Burns was recently recognized as an International Mediation Institute (IMI) Certified Mediator. “IMI is a non-profit Foundation and registered charity established in 2007 as a global public service initiative to drive transparency and high competency standards into mediation practice across all fields, worldwide.” There are currently only three IMI Certified mediators in Minnesota and 373 IMI Certified Mediators worldwide.
- April 14, 2011 – A new book titled “The Minnesota ADR Handbook” will be published by Minnesota CLE this month. It is written for legal advocates and ADR neutrals, and will serve as a singular resource on ADR in Minnesota. On April 26, 2011, Patrick Burns will be part of a panel of ADR experts discussing ADR ethics at the Minnesota CLE Center in Minneapolis. The CLE will be a launch course for the new ADR Handbook.
- April 2, 2011 – Patrick Burns will present a series of three one-hour CLE webcasts on mediation on April 11, May 9 and June 20 in conjunction with ValueSolve ADR and Minnesota CLE. The series will cover the law of mediation, including the confidentiality statute, requirements of the mediation statute, Minnesota Rule 114, and a legal update on recent cases. There will also be a session on effective advocacy when assisting clients in preparing for mediation, and tips for working with clients, opposing counsel and a mediator at a mediation session.